Five Things You Won't See or Hear at a Bed and Breakfast
As I enjoy this entire experience, yet again, I appreciate all the great things you find at a BnB, and then ponder all the things you won't. Here are a few of the things you won't find at a BnB...at least not at a WBBG BnB!
1. Prepackaged danish, little boxed Cheerios and a belgium waffle you need to somehow make yourself!Our innkeepers bake their own scones, create their own unique granola recipes and actually make the waffles themselves....in the kitchen...just for you. You can sit back and relax with cloth napkins, steaming hot coffee or well blended herbal tea and they will craft a great breakfast while you slowly wake up. While we do have the occasional BnB that sets a very elegant light breakfast, they usually offer a delightful choice in baked goods, artisan cheeses and flavored coffees.
2. Bad hotel carpet. (see photo, enough said)
3. You will not hear this...."Oh, sorry, you booked your room through Acme Online Booking (fill in the blank for any of the major online discount travel sites) and maybe you WANTED a king bed, but this is all we have left." We make sure you get the room you wanted....even if you book online. Innkeepers are not part of a large, impersonal chain of properties. It is just them, their home, their business. They want to share their very best with you and most of all, they are proud of their rooms and what they offer. If they make a mistake, because mistakes do happen, our innkeepers make it right. To them it is more than just renting a room...it is creating an experience.
4. You won't hear this," You are in room 1014. The elevator is that way (as the person behind the desk points toward a long hall). Here's your key. Ok, here's the deal. Innkeepers actually WALK you to your room. They will help carry your bags. They will discuss things like what you like for breakfast, restaurant choices, as well as point out all the great amenities their BnB offers. No searching for an ice machine...they will help you get ice. No gathering coins from your wallet for the coffee or soda machine. Your innkeepers will usually have complimentary coffee, tea...and sometimes even homemade cookies all just for you. Remember....you get what you pay for...which takes me on to ....
5. No sir, these are the extra charges to your bill during your stay...a phone surcharge, this is the charge for the morning paper you picked up, oh and this is for the items you picked up in our "snack shop". Breakfast...no it is not included. Sometimes BnBs cost a little more, but remember....you get what you pay for. We include breakfast, you are welcome to read our newspapers, watch our televisions, use our DVDs and help yourself to cookies and tea. No worries...we are not watching and waiting to add extra charges to your bill. Innkeepers just want you to be happy, and comfortable...and they want you to return.